Sunday, June 20

Chocolate Kisses

I suppose I'll work backwards in my recounting of this week's main events, as our Father's Day dinner just now eaten proved to be the highlight.  I'm a grilling maniac these days, thanks to our $15, 3rd-generation grill that was, upon acquisition, a study in rust and corroded metals.  One can of black hi-heat spray paint, lighting directions re-written in silver Sharpie, and a new porcelain grate later - we can't get enough!

Steak, corn, and asparagus - all grilled - and my friend Amy's scrumptious rice salad was the fare.  Each girl had multiple servings of the rice salad, and Abby declared: "Mom!  I didn't know you could make the most delicious, coolest food in the whole world!"  Ellie took a bite of tender steak, and with pink juices streaming down her chin, exclaimed: "I like beef!"  So, when dinners lately have tended toward being left poked at and even downright refuted, the nods at my culinary prowess felt...great.

Especially given the rigamaroo that was the rest of Father's Day.  Oh, we had Ellie running relays throughout the Primary sing-to-the-dads time.  Back and forth she went - from front pew to the podium - through and in front of all of the short Sunbeams during the songs.  Abby's Primary substitute made the comment as I picked her up from class, "Abby sure is a wiggly thing, isn't she?" and explained how Abby had kept trying to hide under her chair.  While passing Ellie's nursery leader in the hall, she said (in jest): "Ellie, tell your mommy how many chocolate kisses you had today in nursery!  Or...not."  AND Adam went MIA for 40 minutes after church and I seriously considered going to see if he'd checked himself in to the psych ward at the hospital next door...it had been one of those days leading up to and through church.  (He was 'talking shop' with a friend, turned out.)

Later, when Adam's dad asked over the phone what the girls were up to, I decided it wise to actually check on them.  This followed: Me: "Abby, why are you cutting your hair ribbon into little pieces?" A: "I just am." Me, as Ellie runs by with a shimmering object in hand: "Eleanore, give me that light bulb!" Later, I happened upon Abby cutting up our new 'United States of America' flags.
And this is just what I remember of today.  (I think I'll continue the rest of this last week's story later.)  So, one might imagine how sweet Abby's dinner prayer, "bless us to listen to our Daddy and do what he says...and even Mommy too, and follow their plan" was to my ears.  Of course, this means now I have to 'get a plan.' 

QFTD

Abby insisted Adam lie down with her so she could fall asleep.  After a few minutes, I hear Abby:  "Daddy, can you please stop snoring??"

Ellie ran out of the room, shouting:  "I found it, Abby-gale Charlotte!  I found it!"

On our way home with a new 10-ft slide for a play set we're building for the girls, Abby complained about not getting a prize at the store.  Ellie:  "Abby, we have a new slide.  Just wait a second."

Me, in attempts to hurry along bathtime: "Come on Abby, it's time to wash your hair."  Abby:  "I am 5. Don't disobey me."

Abby brushed against my shins:  "Mom, feel this.  You're so spikey."

I called Adam and the girls for lunch.  Abby started walking backwards down the stairs.  Adam: "Abby - you are going to fall down the stairs."  Abby:  "No, Dad. This is the way (turning around to crawl headfirst) you fall down the stairs."  (She should know - she fell from the top twice in one day last week.)

1 comment:

  1. what kind of a nursery leader would give those kids chocolate? seriously! glad you like the rice salad. it's my fave.

    ReplyDelete