Sunday, September 12

Movin' On

Well, she's officially a school girl!  Abby started Kindergarten this week and, thankfully, is a fan.  Tuesday morning she woke up at 6:00 am, ready to pack her lunch box.  She informed me while hopping into the bathtub that since she's grown up now, she doesn't need to play with tub toys, so that was the quickest bath of her 5 years.  She might have been a tad excited.  We got her all spiffed up, packed her lunch (I think she had one of every lunch item we stocked up on - 7 kinds of fruit, yogurt, string cheese, water and juice etc. - most of which got put back) had a protein-packed egg and bacon breakfast and headed out to wait for the bus!              

After forgetting to review her teacher's name or her room number (which somehow she recalled when she got to school) or any other pertinent information that she might need, we all stood in nervous anticipation.  Once the first glimpse of that big yellow bus was had, both girls got very quiet.  A quiet I don't know that I've ever heard before.  While it pulled up, we had our last round of kisses and hugs and then, without a backward glance, Abby hopped on.  Of course I had instructed her to sit toward the front and of course all the other mothers had done the same, so I watched as my little blond girl walked further and further toward the back until another little girl invited her to sit down.  And like that, she was whisked down the street and I, choking back the tears, tried to fathom where the 5 preceding years had gone.




I think it will take a little bit for Abby to adjust to 6 consecutive hours of organized, scheduled activity, as I'm pretty sure we didn't have 2 hours of organized anything this summer.  And we had to have the "why do you still have an entire sandwich and all your carrots left?" talk while emptying out her lunch box the second day.  Turns out she shared a friend's chocolate bar for lunch instead.  Other than a girl "yelling" at Abby (after Abby admittedly accused her of not sharing), everything else is a go. 

Luckily for Ellie and Mommy, preschool starts this week!  About an hour after Abby left for school the second day, I found Ellie in the front yard perched on the rock next to the road.  She was waiting for Abby to come home.  On Friday, about an hour before Abby got home, I again found Ellie on the waiting rock.  I informed her she needed to come in so I could finish cooking and was responded to with hands on her hips and: "Mom. These are your two options: you can go in the house and clean and I can stay out here to wait for Abby. THOSE ARE YOUR OPTIONS!" I think it will take Ellie some time to adjust too, as she clearly misses her best play friend. 

Last, but certainly NOT least, as far as talk about moving on goes, we are celebrating Adam's recent job offer from M&T Bank!!!  And while he's excited to be working in their Mergers and Acquisitions dept., really what we're excited about is having our daddy at home 4-10 hours longer every day!!!  And real vacation time!  Hip Hip Hooray!  Hip Hip Hooray!  HIP HIP HOORAY!!!  This also infers that we'll be settling down here in the Buff (Williamsville) and really are quite thrilled at becoming true Western New Yorkers.

To be honest, I'm a little bit nervous that with having so much time on my hands, the chaos of my life will actually be wrangled and brought into order.  What does one do in/with a clean house?  How does one think in silence?  What if I have to change my blog name??  

(Then I remember who I am and who will be walking through those doors every day.  Never mind.)


QFTD

Me:  "Abby, I need you to focus on making your bed. Focusing will be very important in kindergarten."  Abby: "What does focus mean?" Me: "It means to think about what you've been asked to do and then do it."  A: "Ohh. What's that word again?"

Abby, taunting Adam and Ellie while they played a video game: "You guys have boring fun.  I'm going to go have fun fun.  I'm going to do a fun job."

I was scrolling through children's books on Amazon.  Ellie:  "No!  Go back! That title!  No, that title!"

Ellie stood by as I emptied the kitchen garbage.  E: "Ooh.  That stinks!  I'm going over here to get a better nose."

I hurried Abby to eat her breakfast, as she risked missing the school bus. Abby: "Mom, just calm down.  Stop worrying about me and let go of yourself.  I'll be fine.  Just let go of yourself."

Ellie, finding treasures under the couch: "I've never seen a pink remote in my whole life!"

Ellie walked in to the computer room, dripping with bath water: "Mom, Abby's ready to get washed because she's being contentious.  I am not.  I am the queen."

Abby's latest compliments at every meal (be it raisin bran or pasta al forno): "Oh Mom.  This is great.  This is JUST awesome.  Really, it is SO delicious."  (I just wish I could take her seriously.)


Ellie, to Adam: "Dad, I need Abby's violin! I need to take Abby's violin in the car so I can practice my songs on the way to church. I really need to practice."


2 comments:

  1. I can't believe our kids are in kindergarten! Great first-day-of-school pictures.
    Congratulations on Adam's new job, how exciting! You're lucky that he'll be home more often and it's so nice to be able to settle in a place that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those two options. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete