Monday, April 19

Our Own Magic Kingdom

Since I've never actually experienced the "what now?" that accompanies being all packed for a trip 2 hours and 45 minutes EARLY, I figure I might as well document the moment.  (And, surely I've managed to forget something that I'll be scrambling for as our ride to the airport pulls up....and, no, the dishes aren't done just yet.)  The girls and I are off to Disney World for the first time to join Adam's family (Adam will join us at the end of the week) and, well, you could say we're a tad excited.

Everyone we meet, including the poor Verizon tech that came to install our new internet service Saturday, suffers Abby's pelting of WAY too dramatic comments about what awaits us at "Disney" (as they say in the East) - including her favorite, "And guess what?!?! It's not Even BORING!!!!" I'm not sure if that's just a sad reflection of what, in her mind, freedom from home life offers.  But, to be sure, it won't be boring.  I just spent a while researching Kid GPS tracking devices as we can't seem to walk into Target without one of them bolting and being gone for minutes on end (both of them did this morning, in fact) but figure duct taping to them a pole with a neon flag atop would probably be more effective than GPS in Disney.  I guess I'll just have to brace myself for much excitement in kid-chasing.













Anyway, all this Disney talk can't override the fun times we had with Uncle Matt and Uncle Michael who came to visit before taking off on missions next month.  Aside from the requisite WNY stops (Niagara Falls, Palmyra, Wegmans, the Strong Museum etc.)and some intense game nights we pretty much just did what Buffalonians do well - EAT!  (And eat and eat and eat...)  Weggies lunch extravaganza, Dinosaur BBQ, Beef on Weck from Charlie the Butcher's, Bill Gray's,  and of course, the wing challenge - Anchor Bar vs. Duff's.  I can't even remember who won. 












Aside from Ellie spilling her beverage at every meal - and usually in Uncle Matt's direction - things were actually less chaotic than usual.  (Hmm.  Coincidence?)  Then, as if to jump-start our next week without them, Uncle Michael's wallet went missing (stolen? from the car the night I happened to leave the window rolled down?) as we were to take off to the airport.  Long story short, Uncle Matt made it on the plane by the skin of his teeth, Uncle Michael just missed the flight by the time they let him through security and then spent a few more hours with us filing a police report in order to get on another plane, making 4 trips in all back and forth to the airport.  But, we had so so much fun and can't wait to see them in two years!

As for our post-uncles pre-Disney week, things have been a tad crazy.  Ellie came in the day after M&M left with a white powder around her mouth.  I asked her what she'd been eating (cheese) but didn't happen upon where she'd been eating the pungent pecorino (in our closet atop Adam's suit jacket and ties, with drink) until a couple days later.  Cute.



Then, when Adam walked in from work a few nights ago, Abby informed him she and Ellie were having a "spilling tea party" - in the computer room (while I cooked dinner).  Apparently a spilling tea party is one where you spill a lot of water - while wearing swim attire.  The next morning Ellie decided to have a miniature tea party of her own.
 

And, of course, preparations to leave on vacation wouldn't be complete without Abby's artful creations springing up around the house.  Yesterday's (the collection of every random toy and chair in our home) is referred to, by Abby, as her "play-up set" (I think - or "play upset" - but I think it's the first.)

 

QFTD

Alert:  I haven't jotted down anything the girls have said in a couple of weeks, it seems.  Aside from Abby's quote from seconds ago, "Mom, you did not give us vitamins for days and days and days" I can only think of two since they've been repeated over and over for a while. (This is why I have to keep a daily tab.)

Abby's latest favorite question that pops up frequently and at total random:  "And then what did Satan do?"

Ellie's affirmative response: "Oh shoa shoa!" (Sure sure)

(Okay - I had to stop preparations - 30 min to departure.  Abby just made me stop blowing her hair dry and said: "Mom.  Look at my teeth. Remember when I had two cavities when I was a little kid in Mexico and didn't brush or flosst?")

2 comments:

  1. Al, I hope you are taking lots of pictures. I
    can't wait to hear all the quotes while they are in disney heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids are sure creative! Have a great time in Disney!

    ReplyDelete