Monday, April 5

With Toppings and Pepper

Though Easter has come and gone, Abby continues to insist that we're still celebrating it - we dyed eggs today and for dinner we celebrated by everyone using "silver" forks - vs. the usual plastic.  We had a most pleasant Easter morning with each other and a splendid afternoon with friends.

Abby constructed a trap for the Easter bunny Saturday by creating a corridor between her toy boxes and the wall into which he would be lured by various devices:
a mini teddy-bear and other various toys for his baby bunny, a mirror to look in, stickers to play with etc.  The trap, however, came in the form of a bowl full of Easter candy that would be eaten in its entirety, followed by a long drink of water - provided in the pink kidney bowl.  Then, naturally, the Easter bunny would be so tired and full that he would hop (slowly) over to the pillows upon which he would fall asleep and meet his demise.  Unfortunately for us all, the only thing that got lured into and caught in the trap was Ellie.  She was found at the candy bowl, eating m&ms with a spoon as though they were cereal.

Of course I didn't actually think to take pictures on Easter to capture our pleasant memories.  But I did have to snag a shot of Abby's first "recipe"/culinary creation thought up and executed entirely by her this morning - before I realized what was happening.
Egg Salad with Toppings and Pepper  
Given that I detest egg salad, I know I didn't give her the idea to peel and chop up half of the hard-boiled eggs we never got around to coloring yesterday.  Oh no - this is true Abby.  When she called me excitedly to come see and taste her new creation, I tried playing along by asking what the toppings were (yes, one is a Cinderella card) and noticing the pepper sprinkled on.  "Yes, that is pepper and, um, I just dropped it in the garbage, but it's okay - I just got it out."  I didn't want to know if she was referring to the "egg salad" in its entirety or just the pepper, given she had already insisted I try a bite - complete with egg white and m&m.  Not a flavor combo I ever care to experience again.

Totally not related to Easter, but worth mentioning: later on, I found Ellie had gotten ahold of my $1 rusty garden shears that I considered replacing last week, but am glad now I didn't.  Somehow those shears got ahold of and locked onto my jeans!

While Ellie took a nap, Abby insisted that she and I color eggs.  Of course she wanted all of them to be rainbow and so we did our best to get all sorts of colors from our pink, purple, blue and yellow dye cups. In true Abby fashion, they were all lined up post-dye job and then gathered into the carton with a bow tied 'round. 
First, she placed the carton as a peace offering/welcome on the floor in front of the back door for Uncle Matt and Uncle Michael to see when they come (in 48 hours), then (when they weren't coming fast enough) hauled it around the house to various stations.  At one point she examined each egg in the sunlight streaming into the living room, describing them as "tender" and "ravishing." I had to veto them going in her pants drawer and/or under her bed to be kept special for the night, as I had a hunch she and I would forget them...until they made us remember.

So, Easter celebrations continue for us.  And really, why shouldn't they?

QFTD

After finding Abby "teaching" Ellie how to spray the bug spray they found under the deck, I quickly confiscated the can.  A few minutes later I could hear Abby in the other room shaking liquid in some sort of container.  When she refused to answer my questions asking what she had, I went to see for myself.  Abby: "Mom, it's just adventure spray on my hands."  Luckily it was a water bottle.

Ellie and I walked in the door.  Abby, who had been stuffing Easter eggs with candy, came up to me: "Mommy, you have had good misbehavior.  You get a candy."

I heard curious spraying noises from the kitchen while taking the laundry upstairs.  I came down to find Abby with the aerosol hair spray, infusing the air over a dinner of pizza and lemonade with highly scented chemicals.  Abby, with eyes darting around the room: "Ellie...wanted...me to teach her how to...spray."

I asked Abby to gather the plastic eggs she had stuffed for the Easter egg hunt.  A: "I can't.  Ellie had them and they EXPLODED all over in the dress-ups."

Ellie, while playing Polly Pockets with Abby and in a weepy English accent: "I'm not going to come back to your house.  I'm going to play hockey."  

3 comments:

  1. Pepper, egg, M&M salad- my favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahhh, the suffocated laughter in bed next to a sleeping husband as i read through your adventures. hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear about all the adventures with uncle Matt and Michael!:)
    -Candace

    ReplyDelete