Sunday, May 9

Great Expectations

Why is it that I still hope...yes, even expect...4 1/2 years into being a mom... that Mother's Day somehow entitles me to respite from my duties as Mom, Mommy, Mama etc?  Even just like an hour? Even as I try to make this very blog entry at this very moment (with Ellie climbing over the back of the chair to get to my lap)?

I should have known.  I should have sensed when I went grocery shopping yesterday and was surrounded by witchy women who decided they were entitled to first pick of all the produce, and frazzled dads who were obviously not used to picking out foodstuff for Mom's big dinner with children in tow to "help," that the storm clouds were only gathering.  I should have accepted when I saw the large fluffy snowflakes falling this morning, that today wasn't to be sunshine and roses.

So why is it that on Mother's Day, the children are extra argumentative, demanding and temperamental? Why is it that one child finds the single, hidden special yogurt Mom bought for a special breakfast treat and helps herself to it, becoming enraged when Mom tries to sneak at least one bite?  Why is it that the nursery child insists on coming up with Mom to lead the Primary children in singing "Mother Dear" only to play steam roller back and forth the entire time across the front pew?

Why is it that on this day, Daddy doesn't feel well and Mom has to bring lunch upstairs to have a picnic that only ends up in smeared PBJ and spilled milk on the bed?  Why is it that 20 min into Snow White (aka Mom's attempt at a nap), it turns out to be scratched and Mom, cross-eyed, grumpy and incoherent has to pull herself out of what might have been sweet slumber to debate not only that Snow White is in fact unwatchable, but that it will be replaced with Sleeping Beauty (aka the first dvd she sees)?  Why is it that when Mom decides that laying in her child's bed, since Daddy is snoring too loudly to try to go back to sleep next to him, isn't doing anything for her as far as napping goes, she 'awakens' only to find chocolate cupcake smeared into the carpet?


I guess it's because life is life and Mom is still Mom - even today.  And somehow I've got to accept that expectations just really can't come with this job - even on Mother's Day.  Funny enough, aside from being shaken from my sleep this morning by Abby - far too eager to bestow her gift of hand grenade water balloons and four mini squirt guns, I will have one especially sweet memory of this Mother's Day; Ellie snuggling up to an ailing Adam and, while tenderly stroking his hair, saying "Daddy, I love you."

QFTD


At dinner, Adam asked the girls to say one thing about me for which they're grateful.


Abby: "I'm grateful for Mommy to make my bed (I never make her bed) and when she lets me help her... when things break and Mommy and Daddy don't know how to fix it so she asks me to do it."


Ellie: "I'm grateful when she makes the food soggy."

So good to know I'm making an impact in their young lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment