Thursday, May 20

In 'n' Out

Over the last couple of weeks, my house got so messy that I just couldn't face it anymore.  Consequently, in my refusal to deal with the disarray, I became addicted to the TV show LOST (via HULU on the computer, since we 'gave up' TV).  Watched an entire season and almost a half in less than a week.  Also, in spite of seeing myself in a photo and wondering how my friend Shannon had access to pictures of me while pregnant, only to realize she took it of me on my birthday 2 months ago and I only look like I'm pregnant (which I am not), I ate a lot of really bad-for-me food.  Like, oversized s'mores made with oversized shmarshmallows, Abby's birthday gift to Ellie, that I used to bribe the girls with as "dessert" if they'd eat chicken and brown rice devan for the fourth night in a row.
 













Stated simply, I was not in a good place.  And so, having become rather overwhelmed by the state of my inner house, I decided to focus my efforts on the outside.  Remember my washer/dryer-turned-nursery from, oh, March?  Well, I decided to live on the wild side and plant the seedlings that actually survived to plant-hood a whole 2 weeks early.  Tradition holds that in Buffalo, one doesn't plant before Memorial Day, as the risk of frost extends until then.  But...hey.  Everything went fine until a doe rabbit decided to hop the chicken wire and...miscarry? in my cucumber section.  Seriously???  Nonetheless, I plugged on, the gardens were planted, Abby and Ellie collected an entire "worm family" as new pets, and I then decided to pull weeds in the flower beds in order to further avoid cleaning my house.

Now, I suppose one could look at the state of my flower beds in various ways. For one, they show what great potential for growth Buffalo offers its flora and fauna - weeds included. Another...well...they suggest pretty plainly that I have one serious dandelion problem.
Yes, those are dandelions.  So, I weeded.  For hours.  With my $7 dandelion trowel.  However, continuing to face the monstrosity of the weeds that have overtaken my flower beds became just too daunting.  So, instead of facing them again, I decided to clean house.  The inside.  

We're not ready for the home show, but I got a good three rooms in this morning.  I've put the brakes on LOST.  AND, inspired by what I hope will flourish into many many vegetables in those garden beds (okay, and seeing that blasted photo), I've started a healthful eating plan that has been deliciously satisfying.  Recipes shared upon request.

 You know, you just can't underestimate the value of falling off the wagon and hopping back on.  (Over and over and over, in my case.)  For now all that really matters is that I've re-found myself - in a pretty good place.

QFTD

Abby: "Everyone else's houses are not messy.  Just ours."

Abby: "I found Ariel, Mom!  The Little Wormaid!"

Me: "Oh no! That bird is in our garden."  Ellie: "We need to make a stop sign for the birds."

Abby handed me a drawing. "Here you go, Mom.  It's an agenda."

Ellie: "I'm not nevuh nevuh going to bed."

Me, stroking Abby's hair as she drifts off to sleep: "Abby, I love you.  I know sometimes I get grumpy and it might not seem like I do, but I love you."  A: "I know.  And I make you calm."

Abby: "I don't know how to say rediclius. I try and try and try and try and I never can say rediclius."

Abby: "Today at school we had a dentist hygenal come!" 

Ellie, running in from the backyard after Abby: "Hey Ab!  Wait up, Ab!"

Abby, trying to get Ellie's attention in the car: "Ellie!! (x8)" Me: "Abby, she's not responding, so give her a minute." Abby: "Ellllllie!" Ellie, stoically looking out her window: "Abby, I'm not e-sponding.  I nevuh nevuh nevuh am sponding."







7 comments:

  1. i was going to make you an offer of, i'll help you clean if you'll help me clean. but then i read on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've brightened my night. i love reading these. i must document more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had the money I'd come and clean with you. I really do love it. I want some new recipies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would come too al-you just better move closer so we can help each other out :) I am always amazed at what comes out of that smart girl abby's mouth too, "It's an agenda" haha and ellie is not far behind. "We need to make a stop sign for the birds, I nevuh nevuh am sponding" haha Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me laugh ;)
    I love your weeding job and and I'll be here all next week. Lost is a good thing to "loose" for a while. I do want your scallops recipe.
    see you later ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three things:
    1-I love reading your posts.
    2-I've been in an eerily similar bad spot and have responded to it in like manner. We must be related or something.
    3-Did you know that you dandelion leaves are considered 'superfoods', right up there with wild blueberries and sweet potatoes? So, eating them kills two birds with one stone, right? You weed them for a more beautiful garden, and eat them for better health. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been there so many, many times. I just love you to pieces and always will. When can we run away together and frolic on Via Etnea? Do you think little miss Cari will join us?

    ReplyDelete