Wednesday, February 10

Apple and the Tree

Relatively calm day.  Capped off with Ellie quite suspiciously running to the stairs with an "okay, Mommy!" immediately after I called her up for bedtime.  I realized why, after she was soundly sleeping:


Lovely.  Nothing like colorful feathers scattered about your entryway.  And the shoes?  Still there from a couple of nights ago when, while on the phone with Adam, I heard half of an alarmed shriek cut off by a subsequent BOOM - Boom Boom BANG BANG RUMBLE TUMBLE  CRASH!!! and knew instantly one of the girls had fallen down the stairs. I ran to assess the damage to both girl and home and found Abby laying face down, not moving, with a large plastic ring (an attachment to the wheat grinder) encircling her arms and torso.  Though not one to lose my cool easily, I started shouting "Abby! Abby! Are you okay??" (no response) "Adam! Oh my gosh! Abby's not moving!" Slowly her little head raised up sporting a sheepish grin, and what seemed almost an embarrassed "I'm alright, Mom" eked out. 

Her immediate explanation was "I didn't see where I was going," which, given Abby's tendency to walk forward while looking backward, made sense.  Only later did I put it all together, when I saw one of the black heels laying on the stair and one at the bottom.  Not only had she been encompassed by a wheat grinder circle so she couldn't brace herself, but she had also been wearing Mommy's heels while not noticing the staircase in her path. Sadly, I think she might get it from me.

QFTD

On the way home from preschool, Abby started rummaging through her Valentines party loot.  She asked who had given her a particular valentine, so I read the name "Justin" - a boy in the other class that joined hers for the party.  Abby: "Justin? Who cares about Justin?" Me: "Do you mean 'who is Justin'?"  "Oh yeah. Right."

Abby told Nana that she had received a candy bracelet for Valentines. "I never had one for years and years and years and even for days and days and days and days... I simply ate my last one and so I got a new bracelet!"  She continued on about Valentines, describing some she'd received. "I'm going to send this one to Uncle Dave - it's Sponge Bob his favorite!"

Abby, giggling: "Wouldn't it be funny if you only had hair on one side of your head and it went down to your toes but you only had one leg?" (tee-hee-hee)

1 comment: