Wednesday, March 10

Whimsy and Shnoz

I feel like the general tone of this blog lately is perhaps verging on desperation - a "wo is me" cry for help. Really, I'm just trying to make light of the crazier, chaotic, consuming parts of my life which I've dealt with (in some form or another) forever. I'll make it. But for a reader who might not be used to such mayhem, I don't want to misrepresent the dull, everyday stuff that in fact makes up 70% of my life. It's just not worth writing about.

AND, really, this is more of a documentation for me (for later - like next month) when I can't remember the preposterously whimsical things these girls do on a daily basis. For instance, I found, upon coming to blog minutes ago, that Abby has somehow linked a bookmark to HispanicBusiness.com and also saved the link to the desktop. Also, things like Ellie's coming in just now asking if I can help her wash her hands. Another tube of lipstick decimated.


AND like when Ellie sticks a mini Altoid up her nose like she did just now! (It's an hour later since the previous paragraph.) SERIOUSLY?? "Mom! It hurts!" she says, with half a finger up her nostril. "Well take it out, silly!" "But, I just have one in there!" "One what?" "One mint," she says, sniffing. (Slight freak-out moment, as this is the first object-up-the-nose incident I've had to deal with.) "Okay - stop sniffing! Blow really hard in the tissue." (After a few tries 3/4 of a mint shoots out.) "Ellie, why did you stick a mint in your nose?" "It was silly." "Yes, that was very silly to stick a mint in there. Why did you?" "Because it was freezing. Oh - it's coming out my mouth. (panting) It burns!" . . .

I admit that sometimes I have to spur on the whimsy just to keep myself laughing. (Like insisting Abby do jumping jacks to burn off excess energy and tension before using the computer.)



We do have fun. And I laugh plenty since I choose to find the humor in situations of total chaos and destruction rather than cry. I just don't think my body could replenish tears that quickly.

QFTD



Ellie, looking at the photos from yesterday's post: "Mom. (fake weeping) You threw our warm fuzzies in the garbage. I'm sending you to time out. You did a bad thing."

Abby has her friend Bruce over. Bruce: "I know - let's play duck duck Bruce." A: "You mean duck duck goose." B: "No, I mean duck duck Bruce."

Abby: "I know, Bruce, you be the step-king and I'll be the step-queen. And Ellie, you can be the step-servant." E: "No! I'll be a girl." "Okay. You be the step-girl." "No. I'm just a girl." "You can be the step-son servant girl of the king and queen since we live in a huge castle." "Alright."

Ellie and I were singing "I Love to See the Temple" - I'd start the phrase and she would finish it. Me: "I love to see" E: "the temple" "I'm going there" "some day"... Me: "I'll prepare myself while" E: "yum yum yum..."



6 comments:

  1. Al, that video was awesome. Abby sure has rythm even with her jumping jacks. I want to see more videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those legs were going faster than the rest of her body!!! Where does she get that coordination???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! And the pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. The video wasn't even on a pixelated time delay - that, unfortunately, is a combination of Abby's coordination, sense of rhythm, and unfamiliarity with how to do a jumping jack. I think gymnastics just might be what she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has Abby ever seen a jumping jack? Ha ha that was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blog. You're a talented writer. I think Allie doing jumping jacks like that is a good thing--it looks a lot harder and I think she gets out even more energy that way. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete